Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Reflections on the Poetry of Louis Jenkins

            I first notice the format of Jenkins’ poetry.  His poems span the page in a pseudo-paragraph form, without any meter or pattern to the lines.  Combined with his contradictions of himself and casual language, like writing, “….well, slowed down a bit, perhaps” in his poem “Change”, I feel as if in conversation with this man in a coffee shop.  Because of this tone, I easily remove any obstructions to listening.  He invites us into his poetry, beginning with simple introductions:  “There might be some change on top of the dresser” in “The State of the Economy”, or “It turns out” in “Gravity”.  Then suddenly midway in the poem you realize he has deceived you into reading profound thoughts.  Mostly I like his work because of this unexpectedness, but I also appreciate how he connects the mundane to broader truths.
            Jenkins writes with a witty and entertaining sense of humor.  This aspect of his voice creeps into the poems just like his wisdom.  After reading the title of his poem, “The Afterlife”, I expected something sincere, yet discovered a very funny piece.  Once again, Jenkins displays his talent for thoughtful and often sarcastic surprises.

His poems always come from his unique and clever voice, but also address ‘you’.  Sometimes the author himself becomes this addressee, as in “You haven’t changed” from “Change” and I imagine he shares this detail of brushing his teeth incorrectly as if he were talking to himself.  According to Jenkins, we know each other because he declares “You and I stand at the back” in “The Speaker”.  He evokes this casual intimacy in every poem, referring to the reader and himself interacting with particular images and scenes of daily life.  Again, he creates a conversational tone that sets the audience up for his sneak attacks of wisdom, often finally reached with humor.  Even when I finish reading and contemplate his words, I never felt like he imparted any deep knowledge because he wove it into his poem after making me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment