Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Weakness

You offered
Your sympathy, supersaturated syrup,
Poison to flesh imbued over years
With self reliance, self dependence, self
Pity, so if I cringe
At the self inflicted idea
That I am somehow weaker, that I cannot
Fix my own problems without salt stains
Down wet cheeks, I’m sorry, thank you
For asking but I will recover, I will not make this mistake again,
I cannot be another girl begging for help from stronger men,
As my body betrays me, the one that shakes
With surprised fear while you keep walking,
The treasonous weakness of my skin amongst the cold,
Submitting to the elements, or sordid exhaustion,
I cannot prevent these involuntary
Reactions that destroy cautiously created
Independence, the way I cannot reach
My sparring partner, practicing karate with
A man six feet two, I take an extra step, punch
With inconsequential force, the teacher nods assent,
My incomparable strength
Is not my fault,
It’s in my nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment