Sunday, September 15, 2013

Mascara

Two dark lines, parallel
Like an equal sign
Over pale gold lashes,
Or is it unequal?

Maybe I’m over thinking this,
I’m not much of a feminist.
I don’t feel oppressed by dresses,
But is it not strange
That strangers think I’m young with an unmarked face?

Why am I the oldest girl I know with light rimmed eyes?
It’s like we reach high school and overnight inky darkness scrawls
Over the childish, curious, wide eyes.
Or is that what happened to my innocence?
Why does it matter, why have I been asked
If I’m a lesbian, or if I’m just lazy?

I’m probably lazy,
And stubborn, and I accept change
Like a broken parking meter,
But I haven’t decided if I mind writing my gender, my culture,
Across my face.


I don’t know where to draw the line.

1 comment:

  1. As I watched a woman put on make up in the car today, I've been thinking about the strangeness of it. I love your lines 'oppressed by dresses' and 'is it not strange / that strangers think...' And the last line uses a pun effectively.

    ReplyDelete