Sunday, November 3, 2013

Draft Papers

I’m told I’m now an adult
And strangely offended that my country
Has not asked me to sign
My life on a dotted line,
They demanded my father
For this bloody promise,
Pulled two grandfathers
Away from brides and into
Potential patriotic martyrdom,
But my citizenship does not extend
Apparently to this fruitless end.

I would mind the request,
I would write my name
In irrevocable, slow, and fearful
Print, and yet I mind
As much the lack of invitation
To the hopeless warrior institution,
Ordained unfit for duty
As if some corporal weakness
Maimed me, unnoticed, leaving
Reminders in the curvature
Of a body unsuited for
The bleak price that
Is asked of only
one half of one nation
With liberty for the fifty
Percent whose lives
Are worth either more
Or less, but never
The same.

No comments:

Post a Comment