Saturday, November 9, 2013

If

Blurred lights flash, pulsing
The words in my head, If, If, If.
I cannot catch my breath, it’s as if
This cascade of events has rushed
Into one second, I have
Chased it, leaving my ragged
Lungs behind a step.
If I were behind a step,
I would have dallied longer
Eating ice cream in the cold,
I would have turned left when you
Suggested, I would have stopped
At some other darkened corner,
Any other wet asphalt corner.
I would have changed
Anything to not slide
There into a stunning
Array of flashing lights
And confused, broken metal,
If frayed nerves had not
Impulsively accelerated,
The twisted door
Would have been mine,
If I had been alone
I do not think the shaking
Would have stopped,
I might have drowned
In suffocating, doubtful Ifs,
A word easily falling, begging to be asked,
And yet I fear once taken
Each inconsequential, fatal choice
Cannot be remade.

No comments:

Post a Comment